R1150R Stealth Backrest® Installation Guide
|Before we go any further...You MUST have both the BMW system hard-bag bracketry and the optional factory rear rack for this backrest system to work. Comprende? Lets proceed. I have designed this setup to be an easy install. All you'll really need is a set of hex and torx wrenches and about 10 minutes of your valuable time.|
|Warranty: In case you are unaware... Pirates' Lair will replace the bracket or internal hardware FREE of CHARGE for a period of ONE YEAR from date of purchase should your bracket or internal pieces break. As of this writing, I would assume that Sargent seats will warranty the upholstery portion as well. Questions? Problems? 314.647.1320 CST|
|Disclaimer: Please be advised that the backrest you are agreeing to install and use on your BMW R1150R has not been tested under EVERY conceivable condition. Every effort has been made to design a sturdy and durable product, but at this time.. there are numerous "real-world" variables that may or may not cause possible injury to passenger or rider or both. Please be aware that you are hereby forewarned as to these "variables" and by proceeding with the installation of said backrest, you are in effect waiving all legal recourse /rights in the even of accident caused by.. or damage inflicted upon..or contributed to... by the Stealthrest. In no case will Jerry (a.k.a. Pirate) Finley, Pirates' Lair or any other of the contributing participants be held liable for injury or damage (consequential or otherwise) resulting from or arising out of usage of the Stealth backrest by you or your passengers. The reader should recognize that motorcycling is a dangerous activity that can result in injury or death. You are hereby notified that, should you decide to proceed, you do so at your own risk. If you do NOT agree with all aspects of this disclaimer... please return the backrest and I'll gladly refund the entire purchase price (excluding shipping)|
1 : Factory Rack Removal
I will approach this as if you already have the factory rear rack and brackets installed .. so lets start by removing the rear rack
1. Remove the (4) screws that secure the rack to the system case hard bag bracketry.
Hang on to the screws as you will need them on re-assembly.
2 : Stealth Bracket Install
1. Flip the factory rack over and place on a soft surface as not to scratch the finish.
2. Remove the (4) 6mm torx head screws that secure the sides to the rack. Place the stealth bracket on TOP of both the factory rack AND the side pieces FLAT SIDE FACING OUT. Align the holes.
3. Install the furnished (4) 6 x 16mm screws. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Snug and 1/4 turn should do. I suggest using Loc-tite.
4. Re-install the factory bracket with the factory screws.
Wipe off the sweat... you're done. Does it get any easier than that??
3: Backrest Usage
1. Slide the backrest all the way in. There are two positions. Full back... or one position about 1.5" forward (recommended for children passengers ONLY)
2. Lock it in place with your furnished quick release knob or optional 1/4" screw.
Only one screw is needed to secure the backrest to the bike.
That's it! Enjoy. Ride safe.